Saturday, April 28, 2007

IDF honours CAS students

Indian Development Foundation jointly with Podar International School, Santacruz (W), Mumbai organized a valedictory function on Saturday the 28th April to honour the students who have successfully completed 150 hours of CAS activities during 2006-07.

The students of Podar International School were honoured with the IDF Certificate of Merit for their excellent participation in social service activities during the year 2006-07. Helping the visually challenged people, sharing thoughts with grandparents in oldage homes, understanding the life of leprosy, TB and cancer patients and counseling them for a better living were some of the activities the students had undertaken.

The Director of Podar International School Dr. Vandana Lulla said Creativity, Action, Service (CAS) is a fundamental part of the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP) which deals with the importance of life outside the world of scholarship, providing a refreshing counterbalance to academic studies. CAS helps the students to have an insight into the life which is beyond studies.

The Founder President of Indian Development Foundation, Dr. A. R. K. Pillai said the students have gone far beyond in the quest for happiness for the deprived sections of the society. When students are busy with their studies and other activities, taking time off for social service is indeed praiseworthy. The social services rendered by the students of Podar need to be written in letters of gold, Dr. Pillai said.

38 students from Podar International School were honoured with IDF Certificate of Merit and were also given an Appreciation Note for their wonderful work.

Narrating her experience, one of the CAS students Nimisha Shankar said it is worth mentioning my first visit to a leprosy home in Mumbai where I worked for the kids in the centre. From day one, I was so attached to the kids that I wish to go back and serve them, added the 16-year old student.

Another student Raj Jobanputra too had his feelings to share. My views about leprosy patients got changed when I visited Vimala Centre. I now look at leprosy patients as normal human beings, and therefore it has been an eye opener for me. CAS has indeed helped me to change my thinking about the world around me. I was born with a silver spoon in the mouth, but it was only when I started going to such places, that I realized the world outside was a lot more different. I thank IDF for inculcating social values in us, asserted Raj.

The Secretary of IDF Dr. CNN Nair and the National Co-ordinator of IDF Dr. Narayan B. Iyer also spoke on the occasion and enthused the students to keep up social values as they graduate from one level to another.

CAS Co-ordinator Mrs. Sarala Gavane gave a complete report of the year-long social service activities carried out the students in various fields. I am overwhelmed by seeing the excellent responses from the students as well as their parents, as I imbibe in them social values, said Mrs. Sarala Gavane.

No comments: